Ingredientsserves Serves 4, active time 20 minutes, total time 20 minutes
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 poblano chili, seeded and finely diced (about ½ cup)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated with a microplane
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 chipotle chilis in adobo, finely chopped, with 1 teaspoon of the sauce
- 1 (28-oz) can strained tomatoes
- 4 cups homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch cubes or fine slivers (about 1 pound total)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Crispy tortilla strips or chips, for topping (see note above)
- ½ cup Queso fresco or feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges, for serving
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet or pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion and chili with a pinch of salt and cook until softened, about three minutes. Add the garlic, spices, chili and sauce and mix until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
- Add the tomatoes and broth and adjust the heat to maintain an active simmer and allow to thicken slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and corn and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Divide between four bowls and top with the tortilla strips, crumbled cheese, avocado slices, cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Share this on your favourite network